If you are looking for wi-fi module for your project then this page will help you to choose the wi-fi module for your requirements, There are many modules present in the market you can choose by looking its specification and comparing with your need.
Internet of Thing project and internet base wireless projects are very much in need of wi-fi modules, hence we have searched over internet and identified some wi-fi modules at reasonable cost and arduino, raspberry-pi compatible.
1. WiFi Serial Transceiver Module w/ ESP8266
ESP8266 is a highly integrated chip designed for the needs of a new connected world. It offers a complete and self-contained Wi-Fi networking solution, allowing it to either host the application or to offload all Wi-Fi networking functions from another application processor.
* 802.11 b/g/n
* Wi-Fi Direct (P2P), soft-AP
* Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack
* Integrated TR switch, balun, LNA, power amplifier and matching network
* Integrated PLLs, regulators, DCXO and power management units
* +19.5dBm output power in 802.11b mode
* Power down leakage current of <10uA
* Integrated low power 32-bit CPU could be used as application processor
* SDIO 1.1/2.0, SPI, UART
* STBC, 1×1 MIMO, 2×1 MIMO
* A-MPDU & A-MSDU aggregation & 0.4ms guard interval
* Wake up and transmit packets in < 2ms
* Standby power consumption of < 1.0mW (DTIM3)
2. ESP-07 ESP8266 Uart Serial to Wi-Fi Wireless Module
This is WiFi serial transceiver module, based on ESP8266 SoC.The SOC has Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack.It is TTL serial communication interface and its parameters can be set by AT command. It is widely used in networking, smart home project when it is connected to the wifi router.
It can be used for remote monitoring of home appliances, bedroom temperature and humidity, and controlling home appliances by the mobile phone.
* Communication interface voltage: 3.3V
* IO Port Package: SMD, all IO ports are led out.
* Antenna Type: Built-in ceramic antenna is available, and you can also use an external antenna.
* Wireless Network Mode: station / softAP / SoftAP + station
* Wireless criteria: 802.11 b / g / n
* WIFI at 2.4 GHz, support for WPA / WPA2 security mode
* It is very easy to develop projects with AT command
3. WiFi SMD Module – CC3000
The CC3000 from TI (Texas Instruments) is a self-contained wireless network processor that makes incorporating internet connectivity into your project simple. Instead of the more standard UART communication method, the CC3000 module utilizes an SPI interface allowing you, the user, to control the flow of data as you please. What makes the CC3000 unique is its ability to associate to a WiFi access point using a cell phone app in the Texas Instruments process called SmartConfig. This is a great module if you need to add wireless networking to your project!
* The CC3000 is an IEEE 802.11 b/g compliant WiFi module
* embedded IPv4 TCP/IP stack with an SPI host interface at 16MHz.
* 2.9V – 4.8V with current rating of 92mA
* connecting to WEP, WPA/WPA2 WiFi security Modes
4. pcDuino – WiFi Dongle
Want to free your pcDuino from the oppression of wired networking? This USB Wifi dongle has been tested to work with the pcDuino, simply plug it into the USB port and you’re ready to connect to a nearby wireless network!
5. WizFi220 -Ultra Low Power Serial-to-WiFi Module with Power Amplifier
The modules support data rates up to 11 Mbps, and are compliant with 802.11b. The WizFi210/220 modules provide customers the means to evaluate the capabilities of a ultra-low power wireless system–on–a-chip and Serial to Wi -Fi embedded software for Wi-Fi networks. The Serial to Wi-Fi embedded software allows devices and appliance manufacturers to easily add Wi-Fi capabilities to their products with minor impact on the host microcontroller firmware. The WizFi210/220 provides all the hardware and software necessary to quickly set up a serial (UART) link to a PC or external microcontroller.
* Bring WiFi connectivity via Serial Host Interface
* Quick Booting Time : under 20msec
* Ultra Low Power through Dynamic Power Management (5µA at the Standby & 110µA at the Sleep mode)
* Operates with standard 802.11b/g/n access point at speed up to11Mbps (802.11b)
* Security Protocol : WEP, WPA/WPA2-PSK, Enterprise, EAP-FAST, EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, PEAP
* Operating Temperature : -40°C ~ 85°C
* Compact Size : 32 x 23.5 x 2.9 (mm)
* CE, FCC, KCC Certified
6. photon wifi
The Photon is a $19 tiny Wi-Fi development kit for creating connected projects and products for the Internet of Things. It’s easy to use, it’s powerful, and it’s connected to the cloud. The tools that make up the Photon’s ecosystem (and come along with the board) are designed to let you build and create whether you’re an embedded engineer, web developer, Arduino enthusiast or IoT entrepreneur.
* Particle P0 Wi-Fi module
* Broadcom BCM43362 Wi-Fi chip
* STM32F205 120Mhz ARM Cortex M3
* 1MB flash, 128KB RAM
* Soft AP setup
* FCC/CE/IC certified